Update Index



Joseph(1) established his pottery business in 1868 at Dysons Road, Edmonton, near to his home in Water Lane (Angel Road). The business was sold to his third son, Samuel(1), shortly before the emigration to New Zealand with his second wife in 1874.

In the Archive at Bruce Castle Museum there is a record of a conversation with Samuel(3) in July 1961 which  makes reference to a photograph "...from a time when pots were being made at Dysons Road, Edmonton". The Museum has provided a photocopy of the photograph.

The photograph, which is undated, depicts an unidentified man standing in front of a stack of pots. The reverse is annotated "Dysons Road -  Edmonton - Bailey - 452 [museum reference]".

The precise location of the Dysons Road pottery has not been identified at present. It is not shown on the Ordnance Survey maps inspected to date although research into the Edmonton Rating records may provide further information. In the meantime, the existence of the pottery is evidenced by the bill of sale transferring ownership from Joseph(1) to Samuel(1). It is most likely that the photograph is the sole remaining visual record.


  Samuel South & Sons - works outing 1928

Update 17 included a photograph of the remaining South employees shortly before the closure of the Potteries in 1960. From the information presently available, the most successful period of the business during the ownership of  Samuel(2) was in the late 1920's and 1930's.

The above photograph was taken in the Potteries yard at the time of the works outing in 1928. There are 68 people in the photograph including 3 charabanc drivers. The youths seated in the front row (right) are the "wedgers" who shaped the clay into balls for the potmakers who were often their fathers.

Samuel(2) stands in the centre of the photograph alongside his younger brother, John (first right) and son-in-law, Reg Scapens (second right). Charles Frederick, the second son of Samuel(2) appears fourth right in the back row.

Samuel South(2) 1876-1956        John South 1883-1949       Reginald Scapens -1966


Archive Update No 2 mentioned the 1881 Deed of Enfranchisement conveying Manorial land at Clay Hill (Devonshire Hill Lane), Tottenham from Sir William Michael Curtis to Frederick Alderton, the former copyhold tenant. The conveyance included River House, the family home of Samuel(2) from 1917. William Michael was the great-great-grandson of Sir William Curtis, a prominent figure of the late 18C and early 19C who had local connections.

Sir William Curtis (1752-1829) was born in Wapping, East London, the son of a sea biscuit manufacturer. The business prospered during the Napoleonic Wars and he was a founding partner of bankers, Robarts, Curtis, Were & Co. He was the MP for the City of London continuously for twenty eight years and was an Alderman of the City becoming Lord Mayor in 1795-96. Although a friend of royalty, in particular, George IV, nevertheless, he was mocked by rivals for his humble origins and supposed lack of education. The definition of the three R's as "reading, 'riting and 'rithmetic" is attributed to him and taken from a speech made at a dinner given for the Board of Education. It can, perhaps, be assumed that he was conscious of the irony of his words.

For a period of his life, Sir William lived at Cullands Grove, Southgate, a large mansion and estate not far from Broomfield Park. Aldermans Hill takes its name from his residence. His third son, James Charles, was christened (1820) in the Weld Chapel, near Southgate Green, built as a chapel of ease in 1615 and demolished in 1863. In 1802 he was created a Baronet, of Cullands Grove

Sir William Curtis acquired the Manors of Tottenham (Bruces, Pembrokes, Dawbines and Mockings) in 1805 and the Manor of Edmonton in 1810. On his death in 1829 his assets were assessed at £300,000 although probate was granted in the sum of £140,000 with the landed estates entailed in trust for his descendants.

The 1881 deed recites the conveyance of the land from 1855 and the arrangements entered upon the marriages of the Trust beneficiaries. The deed is signed under seal by Sir William Michael Curtis, Charles William Curtis and John Locke Stratton.


KLB 3/99


Update Index